Monday, April 2, 2012

MENDON/KILLINGTON VT 35 PEAKS (The "Lost-Pole" Hike)

I decided to head up and hike Mendon Peak, but I got a late start and after driving to the wrong end of Wheelerville Rd in Mendon, VT I finally got to the Bucklin Trailhead at about 1pm. I headed up the logging roads towards Mendon Peak, one of the bushwacks of the New England 100 Highest. There was more snow as I followed Eddy Brook...
Once I got to the last stream crossing the logging rd was steeper/narrower and covered in snow...
As I neared the ridgeline I left the logging rd to bushwack over to the summit of Mendon, in the woods I came across some moose scat, something I've seen a lot of in the mountains of Vermont...
I continued on towards the summit, finding a herdpath eventually that led to some ledges with awesome overlooks...


I soon reached the summit and signed into the canister...
I then had a lunch/drink break and enjoyed the view of Rutland, VT to the west...
I decided to head back to the logging rd and decide then whether to head up to Killington Mtn or not. Back on the logging rd I decided to push on to Killington, the road was easy and took me in the direction of the mountain but eventually I had to bushwack through some thick steep terrain to get up to the Long Trail/Appalachian Trail. I was glad to see the trail and headed over to Cooper Lodge and then the steep little spur trail up to Killington Summit...
It was windy and very cold up there, but the views were great! This was my second trip up Killington to enjoy the expansive views...

I headed back down the AT/LT and then took the Bucklin Trail back down. The Bucklin Trail was in good condition until I reached Brewers Brook, shortly after crossing the bridge the trail had been rerouted because of Hurricane Irene damage... 

As you can see on the other end of the reroute the trail was totally washed out by Brewers Brook...
A tough hike but a  great day to be out in the Green Mtns of  Vermont!
(*Note: I lost half of one of my hiking poles on the bushwack to Mendon, time to upgrade!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment