Monday, May 7, 2012

MT MARSHALL ADK 46er (The "No Bison Dogs" Hike)

I headed up to the Upper Works for a trip up Mt. Marshall. There was 1 car in the lot when I got there and I saw nobody on the trails all day! The weather was perfect, nice cool breeze and sunshine for the hike in along Calamity Brook. The DEC did a lot of work rerouting the trail after Hurricane Irene. I could see peaks as I went along...
The trail became steeper and rockier as it climbed up towards Calamity Pond. I had a pine tree poke me in the face and take my glasses off, and I wasn't even bushwacking! As I got close to the pond I saw  my first remnants of snow and ice along the trail...
I came to Calamity Pond and the Henderson Monument shortly after...

I continued on to the Calamity Lean-To and Flowed Lands, where I stopped to take in the awesome view and have a snack...

I then took the trail around the Flowed Lands to the Herbert Brook Lean-To which had a really nice meadow view...


The herdpath to Mt Marshall starts right near the Lean-to so I started following it up Herbert Brook. The trail was a little tough to follow but not too bad, it crossed the picturesque brook a couple times along the way...
The snow and ice increased as I climbed, but I was still able to get to the wooded summit with my sneakers on...
Near the summit was ledges with great views where I enjoyed lunch and changed into dry socks/boots....



I found another viewpoint to the North nearby...
I then began my descent. When I got down to 4000 feet I saw a spruce bog with an iceberg floating in it....
As I descended I enjoyed the many cascades along Herbert Brook...

You could even see glimpses of the surrounding mountains from the streambed...
I made it back to the main trail and headed North a bit and found this nice spot along the waterway that connects Flowed Lands to Lake Colden....
I started the long hike back to the car but stopped at the Flowed Lands again for a snack and some photos...


I hiked back past Calamity Pond to the closed Calamity Brook Trail, not sure why they need 2 of the same sign there?....
I followed Calamity Brook back to the Trailhead enjoying the stream and the wildflowers (Bluets) along the way...

I stopped at the Henderson Lake Dam near the Trailhead to check it out, looks like a great place to paddle in my kayak sometime...
I had hurried back to get to the Adirondack Buffalo Farm nearby to pick up Bison Hot Dogs, which I haven't had since last fall, but unfortunately when I got there they didn't have any. I did get some Buffalo Burgers and Medallions Mmmm.. Also stopped at Oscars Smokehouse in Warrensburg for some smoked meats and cheeses. A great day of hiking, even with no Bison Dogs!



No comments:

Post a Comment